Dance to the Music

Here I will regale you with tales of death, destruction, music & jam, but mostly the music. Since I am regularly being ridiculed for my HMV-style room, stand up & salute the maggot-ridden corpse of 'Top of the Pops' as I present: Jon's (very nearly) Definitive Top Five(ish) Albums of All the Years, Ever (as long as they fall between 1988 and now). As the Scissor Sisters would say, "Ta-Dah!"

Tuesday

1992

1992Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Shonen Knife - Let's Knife
Shakespear's Sister - Hormonally Yours
Annie Lennox - Diva

Little Earthquakes is a fan-sodding-tastic album, I remember listening to it over and over while I was going to & from university open days. It reminds me of the smell of a slow creeping fog over the deserted Severn Bridge, plus it has a mention of the groovy comic 'The Sandman', thus it also reminds me of Death. The Annie Lennox one has a slightly dated sound, but it is there for the time in my childhood when I used to point questioningly at the ginger bloke-woman on the telly and my Dad would helpfully provide her name as Henry Lennox, ho. Shonen Knife is the first poking through of the huge shitting iceberg that is my brother's love of all things Japanese rubbing off on me (I keep telling him to stop rubbing off on me, but her never listens). Primal Scream & Shakespear's Sister, two sides of the same coin? No, only one of them has an ex-member of Banarama and carn't spell Shakespeare.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home